Saturday, January 07, 2012

Stuffed Cabbage, Version Two

Here is the recipe as it evolved after my first attempt on Christmas:

1 head cabbage, leaves steamed off and remainder diced
2 x 25 ounce jars sauerkraut

Filling:
1 large onion
1/3 cup white rice
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
2 pounds ground pork
2 eggs
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons salt

Sauce:
oil (for roux)
2 teaspoons flour
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
2 6 ounce jars of tomato paste
1 teaspoon sugar
salt to taste if needed
2 bay leaf
2 teaspoons dried majoram leaves

Also contemplate adding sausage or bacon to pot.

In the meantime we discovered that you can buy pickled cabbage leaves at a local Russian grocery market.  Originally my mother-in-law said this recipe was impossible without this ingredient.  Since we found it I thought we had to give a go.

So here is what I am currently brewing:

1 47.6 ounce (2 lbs. 15.6 oz.) jar of Cabbage Leaves---The brand we found is Marco Polo and is a product of Macedonia with the following website on the label:  www.adrianimports.com
3 x 14 oz packages of sauerkraut--the other brand was out of stock and this one is raw, cultured, non-pasteurized. 

Filling:
1 large onion
1/3 cup white rice
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
2 pounds ground pork
1 egg
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons salt

I also used about 1 1/2 hot Italian pork sausage links from Whole Foods in the pot. I sliced it an dotted it between the cabbage rolls.  I added the bay leaf and the majoram leaves to the pot during the initial 30 minutes of cooking.

Sauce:
oil (for roux)
2 teaspoons flour
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
2 6 ounce jars of tomato paste
1 teaspoon sugar
salt to taste if needed
2 bay leaf
2 teaspoons dried majoram leaves


First taste:  SOUR!  I added two more teaspoons of sugar for a total of three.  I also did not add any more salt to the sauce as I felt that sodium in the cabbage leaves might drastically change things.

I'll let it sit for a while and re-taste......

I ended up adding 2 more teaspoons of sugar for a total of 5.

While the crowd went in for seconds and thirds, I am not satisfied.  I don't like the high-sodium dosage here, not to mention the sugar.  Using fresh cabbage is healthier and also more attractive in presentation.  I think I will go for fresh leaves with sauerkraut, but heavy on the sauerkraut and leave out the shredded fresh cabbage.  Also with the all sauerkraut version the hot Italian sausage links were lost in the sauce and didn't seem to add anything worthwhile.


No comments: