Sunday, January 01, 2012

New Year's Day Menu

French Meat Pie

3 pounds ground pork
1 pound ground beef
2 tsp. salt
3 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. celery salt
1 -3 cups bread crumbs
1 onion

Cook meat and 1 onion in water to cover meat, simmer about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Set aside to cool.  I prepare the meat the day before.

Skim off grease.  (The original recipe says to use this grease in the pie crusts. I have yet to succeed in this step.  I now buy pastry shells ready-made.)

Add seasonings and bread crumbs.  The recipe calls for 1 cup, but this year I used about 3 and 1/2 cups.  It should be very moist without being liquid.  A quivering mass of meat.

Put 3 1/2 cups of meat inside pastry shell and use a top crust, cutting slits in the top.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes or until brown.  Let set about 30 minutes before serving.

This is an insanely huge about of meat and makes enough fillings for at least 3 pies with some remaining.  We only hate half a pie at lunch.  So I froze meat in 3 1/2/ cup amounts to make pies in the next few months.

We eat the pies with mashed potatoes and creamed peas or corn.  This year I also happened to have some roasted parsnips ready to go as well.

We ate around noon.  My almost-four-year-old just wandered into the kitchen as I am typing this and requested some more of "that pie and peas and mashed potatoes please." 

My mother always serves this on New Year's Day.  I'll have to ask her for more history about how it become part of our tradition.  Mom?

No comments: